The Louvre Palace is a former royal palace located on the Right Bank of the Seine in the 1st arrondissement (district) of Paris. It was originally a fortress built in the medieval period. It became a royal palace in the fourteenth century under Charles V and was used from time to time by the kings of France as their main Paris residence. It’s present structure has evolved in stages since the 16th century. In 1793 part of the Louvre became a public museum, now the Musée du Louvre, which has expanded to occupy most of the building.